Sunday 16 November 2008

Made for Genxster



When Genxster asked me whether I am interested to trade card with her, I was jumping with joy, especially when she said she do take request. I have always waiting for this opportunity as I really admire her works on potraits. So without any hesitation, I request for a potrait of me and hubby, and she agree. This is the card she made for me. Tadaa!!

Genxster told me that she saw a series of Harajuku Girl cards in IllustratedATCs and request me to draw something like that. One day, I happened to wander in a survenir shop and saw a set of five or six little handcarved wooden dolls, dressed up with different Sabahan ethnic traditional costumes. They looked pretty gorgeous in a set. The moment I saw these cute dolls, I knew I would want to draw something close to my own root for Genxster. She love drawing and collecting potraits, as according to her, "faces never failed to fascinate me". I just hope this potrait of Sabahan Girl will be a good add to her potrait collection.

Sabah's population is heterogenous and culturally diversed with more than 30 ethnic races and 80 local dialects. Some ethnic groups, for example Kadazan, the dialects spoken and costumes are different between districts. At the beginning, I wanted to draw the most common Kadazan costume but after I saw a photo this one, I am attracted to the colorful beaded collar, hairband and most importantly, earings. I am unable to point accurately this costume belongs to which indigenous group, but after discussing with Debbie, we came to a rough conclusion that it may be a fusion between Sabah and Sarawak traditional costume elements (maybe?). To any Sabahan who read this post and knows better, let me know okay.

11 comments:

Pupu Sulaiman said...

Ohhh this is o beautiful. So long arr i haven't visit you. Sorry oh. :D Love the painting so much mangosteen. Mangosteen, about the.. tut tut.. haha. I'll be sending you at the end of this mth (i think you'll understand this) but i'll only pay half first since now i'm a student. Is it ok? :)

pupu
http://bubbly-pu.com

Faisal Admar said...

omg mango! i love the portrait so much! now i can imagine how you look like ;)

love the atc made by you too :)

Jean Chia aka Ms.Yummy~licious said...

manggis!! this is lovely!! lovely!! i love the smile on this girl!! :))

Jean Chia aka Ms.Yummy~licious said...

btw, i've just purchased my own domain! please change my url in yr blog to http://www.agreatpleasure.com. In short, please omit the .blogspot from my old url!

thanks! Hv a great weekend! :)

A Great Pleasure

bluecrystaldude said...

Wah.. nice..! Can't wait to see your portrait in return :)

Jean Chia aka Ms.Yummy~licious said...

you've just been awarded and invited to join me in What Kind of Chocolate Are You? Have a Choco~licious Wednesday! :)

Antown said...

hi manggis...
lama tak jumpa...
sibuk sekali ya akhir-akhir ini

Tapi karya kamu makin bagus aja.
Salam kreatif!!

Mariuca said...

Hola Manggis! You’re invited to join us on a BEAR-y special meme, have fun! :)

david santos said...

Your work is Art! You are Master!

Jean Chia aka Ms.Yummy~licious said...

congratulations!! you've just been awarded! :)

Mariuca said...

WOW this one pun lawa sangat, syabas! :):):)