Thursday 3 April 2008

New Light!

I'm trying something new this week.

Ezooone commission me to make a drawing, for special occasion he said, or maybe just to show appreciation. He just want a simple illustration, like the one I did in Heavy. At the beginning, I actually had finished sketching what he want, but I felt so uninspired and unsatisfied with what I see. I took the eraser and decided to start again from the beginning. There was a small voice coming from my heart, telling me to try drawing a portrait-style and I took a glimpse at the box of pastel hidden under the pile of paper. I never try this before, but my heart keep telling me that I should at least---try.

After I finished doing the sketch, I paused. I was so nervous to continue to the next step -- colorings. I afraid I will mess-up and ruin the sketch. I really took some hard time to decide whether I should just line the sketch with black pen and color it digitally (as simple as Heavy) or proceed with the pastel attempt. Pen...pastel...pen...pastel...pen...pastel....Ah! I still couldn't make up mind, but my hands had already chosen to whom they want to work with.

Slowly, step by step I begin to enjoy doing the shading and everything. It is my common habit, that in the middle of something, I always want to speed up my work and eager to see the final product. That's why I like to make small-sized artwork, because the bigger it is, the longer time it needs to complete. This is my fear, if I spend much time on something but at the end it failed, I will get bored and unmotivated. But in this case, I keep telling myself, I must be patient and take every step carefully or I will spoil everything.

It took 2 days for me to finish this portrait, if counted by hours, maybe 12-13 hours (size 12x9 for this portrait) including all the pauses, taking pictures and long-breath inhaling to keep calm. Haha. But I'm happy with the result. The portrait is now sealed in clear plastic, sticked on the fridge, waiting to be handed out to its owner.

Thank you ezooone, you helped me to unlock the potential that has always been overpowered by self-boundaries, waiting to be motivated. Isn't it true? Even if it's about facing our greatest fear, it's worth trying.

14 comments:

Aff said...

x sangka ko buli lukis potret dgn baik...give u 4 out of 5. really its 90% alike.congrats!!
Next time mo minta ko lukis my potret pulak..physically transformation from 'S' to 'XL' ahahaha....

p/s: Mula2 u took my heart with Leaf, now im gone with ur Silent Homage.....

mangosteenskin said...

Haha! 4 out of 5 is good enough. 90% is A juga kan. This is my 2nd portrait attempt, the first one is my self portrait with pencil. so i'm sure I need more practice.

why "S" to "XL"? I thought it suppose to be the other way? Hehe.

Oh Aff, I started to hate silent homage, the blood drip makes me feel like something dead or rotten behind the door, or somebody has been murdered. macam crime investigation channel. but if u like it...oklah. x jadi benci. Hehe. I like the door...maybe i want to make other version of the door next time. same door.

remain.anonymous said...

Yay!!! Finally you did it well! I love the outcomes Mangosteenskin. Yup.. its good to be patient (spelling? correct? haha). Its the same as for me.. i get so excited to finish it.. but in the end.. i felt like.. ohhh this is not what i imagine! :( then i have to re-do again. haha. *dies*

pupu
http://bubbly-pu.com

mangosteenskin said...

thank u pu. Ya, I'm glad everything goes well. Haha. If I failed, maybe I'm not going to do the same thing in a short time. next time lah jawapnya.*dies too*.

Restnrileks said...

this is really great..wahhhh...boleh buat potrait.. i can never do potrait laaa... cartoon boleh laaa..hahahaha..

good job manggo... thumbs up

mangosteenskin said...

i think if we are confident with our own style, we can make people's portrait, no matter if it didnt turn out being 100% similar to the original photo or model. If want 100% same, better photocopy or scan, kan. I just read vangogh's book (that i havent return to library yet, haha). he draw portrait using his own stroke, but then of coz what important is we can recognize the person.

it's a bonus if that person got character, maybe big mole, big nose, fat lips etc. thank u for ur comment rizal. always encouraging. :)

seweng said...

errr...facing our greatest fear...fear apa tu manggis? :)

thanks manggis for being supportive...i think surely u have already made my wedding reception's list! :P

hey,u have already had the talent la...no need to wait for me...ekekek...

Anonymous said...

OK I signed up for the Monday Artday, now we'll just see what happens, eh?? I'll look for yours!

bluecrystaldude said...

so nice :D

AbGJaS said...

Hi Mangosteenkin,
Semasa abg bercadang melukis potret mangosteen menggunakan komputer dulu, abgjas tak terfikir langsung yg abgjas sedang berhadapan dgn orang yg ilmu lukis nya jauh lebih tinggi drpd abgjas sendiri, khususnya dlm seni figura (potret).

Kalaulah kita belajar lukisan dlm satu kelas, tak terlawan rasanya
dgn mangosteen..

Di sekolah dulu abgjas ada seorang arch rival, very good at drawing, excellent at math and most importantly, he's also lefthanded!!

AbGJaS said...

Me again..

OOooooo...si Aff dgn Lily suda buka akaun blogger ya...nda kasi tau orang.

Bah, apa lagi join the club...buli ba tu..

Shemah said...

I love the portrait that u made for Izuan!! Nanti2 kalau2 I want portrait for my kids boleh lah I just contact you kan?? heheheh.. (Cakap lah boleh!!) LOL!

mangosteenskin said...

haha, shemah! of coz can. juz like i told izuan...i'll try my best. it's part of practice to me. hehe.

marvicn.com said...

cantik jugak..u never fail us with ur marvelous artwork