Wednesday 14 January 2009

Birthday Challenge

My carving tools and knives all started to rust because I haven't been carving for quite some time. With my birthday approaching the corner, I plan to have a little challenge with myself. The challenge is to design 27 new stamps inspired by all the common things around me; things that I like, own, dream, anything. I would like to share my random source of inspiration, and I will try my best to keep the progress updated in this blog.

I have been thinking about this challenge since last week, and for the past few days, I worked hard to come up with the first few batch of new stamps.

1. Fancy Box 1

Above is a doodle of a fancy small box, which I bought at Likas Mart Supermarket few years back while I was still studying at the local university. I only have RM11 or 12 in my pocket that time, but since I liked this box so much I bought it without hesitation, along with another artificial cactus, respectively cost RM6 and 4. I will try to snap a picture of the box later for you to view.

2. Fancy Box 2

Altered version of the original fancy box stamp. Does this one reminds you of Christmas?



3. Little Angle Lolipop

Some of you might have seen this illustration of little angel sitting on mushroom before. It is actually just a tiny doodle in my sketchbook. I color, scan and print it as bookmarks for my own use.

And this one, is the stamp version of the angel. I gave her some lace on the skirt, a crown and heart-shaped pendant!

4. Girl with Basket

This little girl with basket stamp, came from my sketchbook too. I was sitting with my hubby in front of the TV back from work, and think, "this girl would make a good stamp image"---and this was when the idea of birthday challege came to mind.

5. The Keeper

I love keys, and of all the keys dangling from the bunch I carry everyday in my bag...this one is my favourite. I love Thumbelina as a kid, and until today, whenever I see something that I like, I always imagine there's a small fairy sitting on it, smiling at me. What do you think of this one? Isn't she cute?

If you're asking why...

The round face, small nose and mouth is inspired by the gnome-like dolls belonged to me and my sister when we were kids. The doll's eyelids will shut when we lay it down. The one that belong to my sister got one eye damaged, because she pricked it down with her finger. Their eyes are simplified that way, to make carving easier.

6. Spinning Cup Thumbelina

I grew up in village, I never been to funfair until I was 17 and the only place I could see a giant cup like this was on TV. As a kid, my brain was really intrigued by the image of people sitting in giant cups. I thought, only Thumbelina can fit in all the cups we got in our kitchen, but if I can sit in a giant cup like that...I can be Tumbelina!

I only got the chance to sit on one at Genting Highland theme park a couple of years ago and like a kid I tried to make the cup spin faster and faster, with a smile on my face, thinking of my childhood memories.

Apart from that, this stamp also makes me feel like, "I want to drink tea!" Now! Now! Now!

9 comments:

Letizia said...

I love them all! You are a genius! :)

Bee said...

The stamps and sketches are wonderful! They're so cute!

You know, I've never been to a funfair all my life. It's kinda sad isn't it?

I remember you birthday is in January right? I can't remember the date exactly but Happy Birthday my dear friends. May you have a great year ahead of you.

Ciyou said...

I love the fancy box stamp, they looks so cute~~~

Its great to see you have so many lovely stamps

mangosteenskin said...

helo letizia! hope i will make it to 27! wish me luck!

mangosteenskin said...

hi jurah,

nope. my birthday is in February. Easy to remember. 8282. Just like a "hehe".

don't worry. someday you will have a memorable trip to funfair. I believe it will be great to read your writing about it.

mangosteenskin said...

helo ciyou,

i love the fancy box too!you are producing cool stamps yourself. keep on crafting! i love all your crafts.

funfliffy said...

salam...cik manggis
missed ur entries ... like a lot..
love rizal's stamp
FAB !!!!
keep on designing...love the angel also...too cute tcre

mangosteenskin said...

salam fliffy.

Thank you! I'm taking a bow here, if you don't see it. Hehe.

marvicn.com said...

I suka the little angel lollipop dgn the keeper..so cute la....